|A topographical carte-de-visite showing a view of Milan. The arch in the foreground is the Neo-Classical Porta Ticinese. Built between1801 and 1814 to celebrate a Napoleonic victory, it was originally called the Porta Marengo. After the Napoleonic storm had passed, the name of the arch was changed and a Latin inscription added to its frieze; the words ‘Paci Populorum Sospitae’ [To Peace, Saviour of the People] can be read as a tacit rebuke to the emperor’s ambition.
Photographed by Giacomo Brogi, identified by his backplate on the reverse of the mount.
|Back to list...