|A topographical carte-de-visite showing a view of the Prince Albert Memorial Clock Tower at Hastings in East Sussex.
Following the death of the Prince Consort in 1861, the people of Hastings decided to raise a memorial to him by subscription. Prince Albert’s statue arrived from Liverpool on 3 July 1863 and the Gothic clock tower was completed when Messrs. Thwaites and Reed of Clerkenwell delivered the clock on 10 June 1864. Due to repeated vandalism, the clock tower was demolished in the 1970s.
Photographed by F.S. Mann of 13, Wellington Place, Hastings.
condition: The print is in excellent condition, with very good tonal range. The mount presents a small amount of foxing on its reverse but is otherwise also in
excellent condition, with crisp edges and sharp corners.
|Back to list...